2024 Coders’ Desk Reference for ICD-10-PCS Procedures (Compact)
Optum | 2024 |
This resource is organized by common procedural nomenclature used in the hospital setting and then linked to the related root operation table(s); the procedure is described in layman’s terms, translated to ICD-10-PCS root operation terminology, and the corresponding root operation table(s) is identified.
• Optum Edge — Clinical focus points. When more than one root operation may apply, key procedural terms differentiating the root operations are highlighted in focus points to ensure that the correct root operation is selected.
• Optum Edge — Illustrations at the code level. Illustrations of pertinent anatomy and surgical procedures are included to enhance understanding.
• Ease of use. Developed to work hand-in-hand with your Optum ICD-10-PCS codebook.
• Enhance understanding of ICD-10-PCS. The lay descriptions were developed to enhance understanding of the ICD-10-PCS terminology and definitions of root operations, body parts, approaches, devices, and qualifiers.
• Designed for novices and seasoned coders. The lay descriptions, illustrations, and other supplemental resources contained in this resource are designed for coders of all skill levels.
Anita Schmidt, BS, RHIA, AHIMA-approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
Ms. Schmidt has expertise in ICD-10-CM/PCS, DRG, and CPT® with more than 15 years’ experience in coding in multiple settings, including inpatient, observation, and same-day surgery. Her experience includes analysis of medical record documentation, assignment of ICD-10-CM and PCS codes, and DRG validation. She has conducted training for ICD-10-CM/PCS and electronic health record. She has also collaborated with clinical documentation specialists to identify documentation needs and potential areas for physician education. Most recently she has been developing content for resource and educational products related to ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, DRG, and CPT®. Ms. Schmidt is an AHIMA-approved ICD-10-CM/PCS trainer and is an active member of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and the Minnesota Health Information Management Association (MHIMA).
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.