Medical Coding for COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus
Optum® is committed to ensuring that you have the information you need to effectively and efficiently address COVID-19 from a medical coding, billing and reimbursement perspective. We have compiled information from the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), American Medical Association (AMA), and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), so you can easily access the most up-to-date medical code detail and effective dates in one convenient place.The Optum COVID-19 summary is in a table format. The format follows current code numeric/alphanumeric listings, except as noted if a code(s) is resequenced. CPT® codes are listed first, followed by HCPCS codes, vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, ICD-10-CM/PCS codes, and dental vaccine codes.
PDF: Summary of COVID-19 code changes as of 5.9.22 (332 KB)
Optum COVID-19 Product Updates
We recognize our coders rely on various resources and tools to access the most up-to-date medical codes. We are committed to ensuring you have all the information you need regarding COVID-19 codes, guidelines and effective dates.
Content updates pertaining to all code sets, including COVID-19 for your edition print books are now posted online on the Product Updates page.
Optum online coding tools (e.g. EncoderPro.com, RevenueCyclePro.com, etc.) publish all necessary code and reference content updates, as available. More information is posted to the various online coding tool homepages – please sign in for details.
Optum data file(s)/web service(s) content is updated to include COVID-19 codes. Please refer to current effective dates to comply with CDC, NCHS, AMA, and CMS guidelines. Log in to the data vault to access content updates.PDF: Summary of COVID-19 code changes as of 5.9.22 (332 KB)
We Are Here to Help
Complimentary 30-day Trial | Online Coding Tools
We want to ensure you have the coding content you need at your fingertips. Request a 30-day trial for our online coding tools where all codes are up to date, in one solution.
COVID-19 | Optum Specialty Articles
Optum articles are created and reviewed by our clinical and product experts. The Optum Specialty Articles Add-on, available for purchase with a subscription to EncoderPro.com and/or RevenueCyclePro.com, provides exclusive access to the most recent and relevant specialty newsletter content available today. Due to the continual COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering complimentary access to these articles:
- PDF: OSA Article COVID-19 Vaccination and HIPAA Guidance (151 KB)
- PDF: OSA Article COVID-19 Medicare Releases Payment Information for Monoclonal Antibody Treatment (105 KB)
- PDF: OSA Article COVID-19 ICD-10-CM Coding for Post-COVID-19 Conditions (98 KB)
- PDF: OSA Article COVID-19 Billing for IPPS New Treatments Add-on Payment (147 KB)
For customer service and technical support, contact us with any questions you might have in regards to our coding products.
Other COVID-19 Resources
American Medical Association
- AMA CPT® COVID-19 Coding and Guidance
- AMA CPT® COVID-19 Physician Resource Center
- AMA CPT® COVID-19 Testing Code Update
- AMA CPT® Assistant COVID-19 Article
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) COVID-19 Test Pricing
- CMS Link COVID-19 Lab Tests
- CMS Link FAQ for Providers
- CMS Link Medicare Telemedicine Provider Fact Sheet
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- ICD-10-CM Official Coding Guidelines – Supplement Coding encounters related to COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak
American Hospital Association
CPT © Copyright 2021 American Medical Association. All rights reserved.
AMA and CPT are registered trademarks of the American Medical Association.